[mythtv-users] New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed May 31 20:16:20 UTC 2023

On 5/31/23 11:21, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 1:10 PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>> New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb
>>
> As a meta question, should those that package
> MythTV plan to rebuild the web-app using their
> distro version(s) of npm/nodejs(*)?
>
> Right now some (but not all) buildbot workers
> rebuild the web-app as part of the builds as
> part of CI, so there is some (but not currently
> complete) coverage to make sure that things
> build properly on different platforms.
>
> This is also partially a question about "building
> from source", rather than using a preassembled
> app, and bundled sources (which, as I understand
> it, the project generally wishes to try to avoid
> (and remove) when possible, although there
> are always some advantages to bundled sources).
>

> (*) Regardless, for development, the ansible
> playbooks probably should be updated to
> install npm/nodejs for developers.

I am building the package manually and committing the bundled javascript
files. The make scripts do not do anything other than deploy them.

This was set up before I started work on it. Stuart and Paul Harrison
set up the system like that and I did not question it. It seems
reasonable because the same built packages can be installed everywhere
and you don't have to deal with having the correct software installed on
build machines.

There are instructions for developers that include the precise software
versions we are using, at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/WebApp_Development .

Peter