[mythtv-users] homewrun firmware

faginbagin helen.buus at gmail.com
Fri May 19 02:07:36 UTC 2023

On 5/18/2023 7:19 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 5:22 PM faginbagin <helen.buus at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> One thing I've noticed with my latest HDHomeRun FLEX 4K, is that signal
>> strength and symbol quality can drop by almost half every few months and
>> just power cycling it restores SS and SQ. I don't recall having that
>> problem with my older HDHR models.
> Be sure you have a LTE filter (LTE interference
> can result in really inconsistent results which
> can also be transitory in nature).
>
> If you use the SD app (or equivalent) and
> monitor the numbers, and see continuous
> significant variations in SS/SQ there may
> be obstructions the Fresnel zone which
> need to be addressed.

I'm not sure what happened to my tuner could be called transitory. As I
recall,over a few days, recordings on one channel in particular had lots
of errors, getting increasingly worse to the point of total failure (0
byte recordings). When I used the HDHR config gui, I could see the SS/SQ
numbers were way down, and when I compared a channel scan using:
hdhomerun_config ${device} scan ${tuner} tuner${tuner}-scan.out
to one done months earlier, I could see SS/SQ changes to other channels
as well. So the problems persisted for at least 48 hours until I power
cycled and SS/SQ were restored to the months earlier levels.  Not what
I'd call transient. Or am I missing something?

If it still sounds like LTE interference, what are your thoughts on
brand names for LTE filters? I see channel master has one for $25 and
Philips has one for < $10. Both are 5G LTE filters.