[mythtv-users] Mythtv install on Debian 12 (bookworm)

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu May 11 22:49:16 UTC 2023

On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 6:40 PM James <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> On 12 May 2023, at 1:39 am, Roland Ernst <rcrernst at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 3:07 PM James <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>

>> On 11 May 2023, at 7:19 pm, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> So if I build the mythtv packages for Debian per:
>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Debian
>>
>> Except use the following script to to install the packages:
>>
>> #! /bin/bash
>>
>> rm /usr/share/my_mythtv_repo/*
>> mv ./*.deb /usr/share/my_mythtv_repo
>> mv ./*.dsc /usr/share/my_mythtv_repo
>> mv ./*.changes /usr/share/my_mythtv_repo
>> cd /usr/share/my_mythtv_repo
>> dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null | gzip -9c > Packages.gz
>>
>> That works, but what is the process to update mythtv?  Is it something
>> like?:
>>
>> git pull
>> build-debs.sh
>> rerun the script above
>> sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
>>

> Yes, that's the way to go.
> Additionally, I provide these packages to all of my frontends for
> installation.
> They run the same OS version.
>
> Consider to move the build process into a dedicated "chroot" environment
> or to a VM.
> This reduces the amount of installed packages on the production server and
> provides
> additional security.
> Programs like "fakeroot" should not be installed globally on a production
> system.
>

>> Jim as I opined, building packages is just hard work and a waste of time
>> (sure we are just having fun) but I find other things more interesting so I
>> do
>> $ make -j 9 (cores + 1)
>> $ sudo make install
>> whenever you need to update
>> $ git pull
>> make n make install
>>
>> James
>>

> At least for Debian bookworm and python 3.11+, you probably will run into
> problems:
> See this entry on the mailing list:
> http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2023-March/079515.html
> or on gossamer threads:
> https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/dev/643423
>

> Heh Heh
> You got 2 opinions from opposite ends
> James

Well at this point I have just built from source on Bookworm and it works
fine. The hard part on Debian with either method is the database and other
stuff.  I start with a script from Github that was put together to help do
all that for the Raspberry PI.  I just edit that Pi-mythtv-helper script
for whatever version of Debian, PHP, and mythtv version.
https://github.com/MikeB2013/pi-utils

Jim A