[mythtv-users] Mythtv install on Debian 12 (bookworm)

Roland Ernst rcrernst at gmail.com
Thu May 11 17:39:44 UTC 2023

On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 3:07 PM James <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

> On 11 May 2023, at 7:19 pm, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So if I build the mythtv packages for Debian per:
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Debian
>
> Except use the following script to to install the packages:
>
> #! /bin/bash
>
> rm /usr/share/my_mythtv_repo/*
> mv ./*.deb /usr/share/my_mythtv_repo
> mv ./*.dsc /usr/share/my_mythtv_repo
> mv ./*.changes /usr/share/my_mythtv_repo
> cd /usr/share/my_mythtv_repo
> dpkg-scanpackages . /dev/null | gzip -9c > Packages.gz
>
> That works, but what is the process to update mythtv?  Is it something
> like?:
>
> git pull
> build-debs.sh
> rerun the script above
> sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade

Yes, that's the way to go.
Additionally, I provide these packages to all of my frontends for
installation.
They run the same OS version.

Consider to move the build process into a dedicated "chroot" environment or
to a VM.
This reduces the amount of installed packages on the production server and
provides
additional security.
Programs like "fakeroot" should not be installed globally on a production
system.

> Jim as I opined, building packages is just hard work and a waste of time
> (sure we are just having fun) but I find other things more interesting so I
> do
> $ make -j 9 (cores + 1)
> $ sudo make install
> whenever you need to update
> $ git pull
> make n make install
>
> James

At least for Debian bookworm and python 3.11+, you probably will run into
problems:
See this entry on the mailing list:
http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2023-March/079515.html
or on gossamer threads: