[mythtv-users] running mythtv-backend in a VM?

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Mon May 8 19:05:02 UTC 2023

On Mon, 8 May 2023 at 20:35, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com> wrote:

> While playing around I have discovered that in some distros it can be
> complicated to get mythtv running.  So I was wondering if you have a
> requirement to run a distro that is not Mythtv friendly. What about using a
> VM?
>
> I setup KVM/QEMU and created a VM of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. I setup a share
> directory between the host and Ubuntu guest machine using virtiofs and
> mount that via /etc/fstab.
>
> So Installing mythtv on Ubuntu is relatively easy.  Since my PC is uses a
> network bridge, the VM is on the same subnet as the home network and can
> see the HDHR tuners.
>
> This works without any noticeable performance impact on the  PC.  So to me
> keeping Mythtv simple by running it in a Ubuntu VM seems to be a perfect
> solution if you are required to run another Distro and want Mythtv?
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Jim A

For a backend this is perfect if you have networked tuners, e.g. HDHomeRun,
SatIP or other IP based tuners.
I suspect that USB tuners will not work or with very high CPU load and that
PCI/PCIe bus tuners are even more difficult.
The last time I did play with a VM there was also a virtualized graphics
card that was not suitable for video playback by mythfrontend.
So yes, but for backends with network tuners. Of course, I would like to be
proven wrong on this.

Klaas.