[mythtv-users] System freezes

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 19:42:58 UTC 2023

On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 1:25 PM Bob <mythtv at cox.net> wrote:

> They did not 'test' bad, but I have been told they don't
> always test bad using memtester86+.

I once had suspect ram. I could "use" the system pretty much fine, but if I
tried to compile GCC within the 3 gig tempfs (had 6 gigs of ram and slow
hdd, so i wanted compiles to be faster, thus tempfs ramdisk to compile in)
it would ALWAYS internal-compiler-error.

One pass of memtest86 found nothing.
One hour found nothing.
Only after 27 some hours of constant hammering with memtest86 did it show 1
error. But GCC *reliably* crashed compiling itself, so the ram *was*
reliably bad.

Mike