[mythtv-users] Help - Possible Corrupted Database

Ram Ramesh rramesh2400 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 16:19:14 UTC 2023

> sudo
> /usr/share/doc/mythtv-backend/contrib/maintenance/optimize_mythdb.pl
>
> (That should be all one long line - my email client wraps long lines)
>
> That should check and repair all the database tables.  Usually, if a
> recording was in progress when the space ran out, recordedseek will be
> corrupt, but optimize_mythdb will repair it.  And if you are lucky,
> that will be the only table affected.  If you have done any recordings
> while it was corrupt, those recordings will not have had their seek
> tables written to recordedseek and you will need to fix that by
> running "mythcommflag --rebuild" on each of those recordings.  If you
> do commercial skip processing, you would also then need to redo that
> as it is also stored in recorded seek - use mythcommflag with the
> settings you use for commercial skip processing.  Make sure to do the
> --rebuild first, as a separate run of mythcommflag as they can not be
> combined and --rebuild will delete the results of commercial skip
> processing.
>
> If other tables have been corrupted, then you may have permanent
> damage there and have to restore from your backup.  Run
> optimize_mythdb again until no tables are repaired, then see if
> everything is working before deciding to do a database restore.
>
> If you do restore the database, then any recordings done since the
> backup will become orphaned - find the recording files
> (find_orphans.py) and move them to a videos directory, then rescan
> your videos:
>
> mythutil --scanvideos

Thanks for the guidance. Like I said, shutdown (on the new machine with
old system kernel copied over) was working just  fine until I added sas
9211 hba card and a couple disks that were on my old system. Now it
completes every step and comes to reboot target and then reports that
some one is trying to do some extra work that kernel is ignoring. I will
get the exact message and post it here. I am almost sure that if I take
out the hba card, everything will work fine. However, I do not have
enough SATA ports that I need this card. Apparently, this is one of the
cards that has excellent (long time) support on the linux side. Since my
backend is always on machine, I am not too inconvenienced by this
limitation as of now. Still it bothers me that I have to push the power
button and hold it to force the situation.

   I will try to post on one of the kernel threads or debian-user to see
what I get. I doubt there are any filesys corruption issues because on
screen log shows everything except actual power off or reboot is done.
So, I am less worried about pushing the power button.  However, I will
try all of your above suggestions and will learn what internal system
state is and go from there.

Regards
Ramesh