[mythtv-users] help needed! NUC fan failed on mythtv backend/frontend

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Fri Mar 17 01:21:25 UTC 2023

On Thu, 16 Mar 2023 11:59:32 -0500, you wrote:

>Thanks Mike, that was it. I restored my changes in /etc/mysql to original
>and the backend and frontend are working on localhost.  I just need to find
>the changes for mariadb to allow remote frontends to work.

Fairly recently there were changes to what the * and :: addresses do
in the bind_address= config line.  With current MariaDB versions, you
need to use * instead of :: to allow all access (including IPv6) to
MariaDB.  So do this:

sudo su
cd /etc/mysql
grep -ir bind-address *

to find all the places you have bind-address set.  Then comment them
all out by adding a # at the start of the each of the bind-address
lines.  Add a new file by running these commands:

cat <<EOF >/etc/mysql/conf.d/zz-local-options.cnf
[mysqld]
bind-address=*
EOF

Then restart MariaDB:

systemctl restart mariadb
exit

Putting the bind-address line in a separate file ensures that it will
be there forever and not get overwritten by updates of the MariaDB
packages.  You may already have such a separate file - if so, you can
just put the bind-address line there.