[mythtv-users] logging

James jam at tigger.ws
Sat Mar 11 23:43:36 UTC 2023

[snip] because

Your mail to 'mythtv-users' with the subject

> Re: [mythtv-users] logging

> The reason it is being held:
>
> Message body is too big: 71203 bytes with a limit of 40 KB
>

> Steven thanks.
> I guess that my rsyslogd is configured to use only sockets there is no listen on 514
> Your 40-mythtv.conv is obvious and clear but my system stilll logs everything to 'warn'
> (estarted rsyslogd, then myth (which should not care)
> So off I go spelunking

How subtle :-)

I created /var/log/mythtv with mode 1777
mythtv runs as user jam and as per the original wiki a sea of log files (at mode 666).
Safe yea? Nah! root gets permission denied on 1777:

2023-03-11T16:59:00.044955+08:00 seagull rsyslogd: file '/var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log': open error: Permission denied [v8.2204.1 try https://www.rsyslog.com/e/2433 ]

James

PS the logic being if you are so open as to 777 then be a bit restrictive with 1777. I learned 1777 is a lot restrictive!