[mythtv-users] command line to create a recording?

Jay Harbeston jharbestonus at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 17:42:18 UTC 2023

> On Mar 11, 2023, at 11:58 AM, Ken Mandelberg <km at mathcs.emory.edu> wrote:
>
> I want to treat captured stream videos as recordings, with a seek table and commercials flagged. I'm using the trick posted earlier of taking an unwanted recording, renaming the video with its filename, and then apply mythcommflag.
>
> I have that trivially scripted, except for generating an unwanted recording. Right now I just use the gui to start recording something and then stop it a few seconds later.
>
> I would like to generate the unwanted recording file from the script.
>
> Is there anything around to do that?
>
> Even better would be to directly register the video as a recording. Any help on the mysql commands? I don't know what tables have to be modified.

I went thru this exercise a couple of weeks ago, trying to use a Raspberry Pi as the test backend, and then also with Intel N5095; the raspberry pi didn’t have the horse power to create an mpeg2ts stream from an HDMI video capture device, the Intel N5095, had enough to capture the video, but couldn’t take care of the 8 second lag between video and audio due to the video transcode. You need some horsepower in order to be able to do the above to capture video/audio in sync.

I wound up abandoning the exercise as I didn’t want to put that much power into a 2ndary backend. As little as I use the ability, I decided to just use an underused Mac mini I have to create video using QuickTime Player.

Short story is it can be done using ffmpeg but requires a hefty backend.

Regards!