[mythtv-users] Storage directory management across SSD/HD

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 17:32:11 UTC 2023

Hoi Mike,

Saturday, March 11, 2023, 6:18:31 PM, you wrote:

> On 11/03/2023 16:23, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
>> Hoi Jan,
>>
>> Saturday, March 11, 2023, 7:37:02 AM, you wrote:

>>> MythTV will only auto-delete recordings that have been set to
>>> auto-expire. So probably when discussing this functionality we should
>>> use that word: auto-expire.
>>
>>> Each recording rule contains a flag that determines whether the
>>> recordings carried out under it will be marked to auto-expire. But you
>>> can also individually set or clear the auto-expire flags on already-made
>>> recordings.
>>
>>> There's a brief write-up on the wiki here: [1].
>>
>>> [1]: https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Using_MythTV#How_MythTV_Records
>>
>>> HTH, Jan
>>
>> Not entirely true. Unless policies have changed in more recent mythtv
>> versions. It will first try to make space by deleting recordings set
>> for deletion and then those set to auto-expire. However finally it
>> will start with other recordings, oldest first. You can set several
>> parameters in your setup.
>>
>> About deleting in-use files under Linux. This is entirely possible
>> without disturbing the in-use processes. When a directory entry is
>> deleted the actual data is still there and is in the background
>> protected from overwriting until it is no longer in-use.
>> This as opposed to Windows filesystems. This is why Windows needs
>> endlessly reboots during installation.
>>
>> This goes for ext2/3/4 filesystems. I am not sure if this also goes
>> for the newer filesystems but I guess it does.
>>
> The problem there is that, although the system considers the file deleted, the /space/ is not
> released until the last user closes the (deleted) file. This is mythtv's problem, that it will
> actually want to make use of that space.

True, I just responded to the question: "What happens if I delete a
recording that is currently being watched?"

If Mythtv deletes a file and does not get the expected free space, I
guess it will keep on deleting recordings until the set minimal
free space is reached.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven