[mythtv-users] Enabling IOMMU seems to have broken my tuners

George Bingham georgeb1962 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 23:46:33 UTC 2023

On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 4:06 PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 4:58 PM George Bingham <georgeb1962 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> * What is your distro/version?
> >

> > Ubuntu 22.04, 5.15.0-58-generic
>
> Are you using an AMD Renior/Cezanne system?
> There is a kernel patch that fixes a specific issue
> with those systems and IOMMU for some core
> media tuners that even calls out MythTV as an
> impacted app and first identified on a 5.15 kernel
> (other generations of related implementations
> might also be impacted).  Looks like it might
> need a (very) recent kernel to fix (the patch did
> not go into mainline until August of 2022, which
> would likely mean 6.0.x), although it might have
> gotten backported in some distros.
>
> In any case, I suspect that upstream will require
> you to test with a recent kernel before accepting
> a bug report.

Thanks,

No, I'm running on an older HP Z210 workstation, it has an i7 and 16Gb ram.

I was trying to enable IOMMU so that I could devote an old GPU to running a
windows VM.

I know I can run windows without giving it this gpu, but that'd be useless
for my use case.

Darn, because until about a month ago I was still using this old GPU, and I
had to keep my older ubuntu kernel because newer ones didn't support it. I
was happy to update to the latest of everything when I got the new GPU...
(well, latest ubuntu and latest release of MythTV).

Maybe I could run the backend in a VM?   I've heard of folks doing that,
but don't know what the pros and cons would be.

If anyone has run the backend in a VM I would be interested in their setup
and any problems they encountered.

Will look into updating the kernel.... Not glued to ubuntu  either, maybe
it's time to look at arch or rh or something that'll give me more bleeding
edge.

George