[mythtv-users] Events at the beginning of a recording

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 18:29:35 UTC 2023

On 25/01/2023 18:29, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Am I correct that you are working on conserving electricity by only
> powering up devices when needed?

Yes, that's what I'm trying to achieve. I have three HDMI video capture
pipelines (STB, HDMI encoder and another device which shall remain
unnamed), and I am powering all three with a single 12VDC power supply
(and a 12V to 5V buck converter for the devices that require 5VDC),
which is plugged into an old 4-socket Gembird USB-controlled power strip
I had from an era long past.

Ideally I would like the sockets to be controlled by scripts ultimately
invoked from the MythTV backend, so that (among other things) they are
also powered down when the backend service is stopped, e.g. as part of
the whole server being shut down.

> I am currently working on a network management tool to achieve just
> that and am now implementing a eg-pms2-lan with switchable power
> sockets to among others manage my hdhomrun.
> I use the mythtv api to extract a recording schedule for those tuners
> to determine when to switch on or off.

I can see that working for scheduled recordings, but live TV (which I
occasionally use for testing) wouldn't work as it's of course unscheduled.

But I am indeed interested, since live TV is very much a corner case.
I'd also still want to work on powering stuff down while MythTV is down,
but that can probably be done independently of your scheme.

Thanks, Jan