[mythtv-users] BBC HD channels upgrade starting soon on Freesat

Paul Harrison mythtv at mythqml.net
Sun Jan 22 16:02:42 UTC 2023

On 22/01/2023 15:04, Mike Perkins wrote:

> On 22/01/2023 11:52, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> Just a heads up for UK Freesat users the BBC will be starting it's
>> channel shuffling on Tuesday 24th January 2023 where eventually all
>> the regional SD channels will close and only the HD ones will remain
>> taking over the 101 channel position of the SD ones in most cases. It
>> sounds like there will still be one SD BBC1 channel called BBC One
>> Nightlight which will be BBC1 but without any regional content. The
>> switch over will take a couple of months to complete so expect some
>> disruptions.
>>

>> This article on RXTV gives more in-depth details :-
>>
>> https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/sky-and-freesat-start-bbc-hd-channel-upgrade/
>>
> I know info this is satellite-specific but will any of the channel
> switching spread to Freeview as well? If so, is there a source for
> that info?

Yeah these changes only affect FreeSat and Sky. I guess it's all part of
a cost cutting exercise by the BBC?

I don't think any of these changes will affect Freeview in any way.
There is still a lot of Freeview equipment out there that doesn't even
support HD so the SD broadcasts will be available for a good while
longer. The available bandwidth on Freeview is very restricted so there
isn't a lot of room to play with anyway only made worse by one multiplex
recently closing down to make way for more mobile services :(

The Freeview updates page on RXTV is a good page to keep up with all the
changes.

https://rxtvinfo.com/freeview-updates/

Paul H.