[mythtv-users] connection does not survive a reboot

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Jan 8 03:49:47 UTC 2023

On Sat, 7 Jan 2023 12:48:17 -0500, you wrote:

>Thanks Stephen, I do use gnome desktop and have used network manager years
>ago with a different VPN.
>The free vpn I tried was all done automagically, and now I'm having trouble
>undoing it. I found my ISP's primary DNS and secondary DNS, are you saying
>I should be using these instead of google's? This would be only in the
>interim until an automatic solution is found?

Yes, use the ISP DNS servers.  In my case, my ISP has Akamai CDN
servers on their network, so if I do not use their DNS servers, any of
the millions of sites that use Akamai will be directed to a US or
Australian server instead of my ISP's New Zealand one.  So the speed
and responsiveness decreases quite a lot as the ping times to anything
outside NZ are quite large due to the distance that has to be
traveled.  In your case the performance decrease will be less, as
there will be relatively nearby US CDN servers, but you may well
notice the difference if you are looking for it.  And you may have
problems logging into your ISP account if you are not using their DNS.

If you are looking for the remnants of your VPN install, try looking
in /etc/NetworkManager, especially the "system-connections" and "VPN"
subdirectories.  And in files in /var/lib/NetworkManager.