[mythtv-users] connection does not survive a reboot

Daryl McDonald darylangela at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 17:48:17 UTC 2023

On Sat, Jan 7, 2023 at 11:23 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Jan 2023 09:09:36 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >I am not able to edit this file:
> >daryl at trieli:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> ># This file is managed by man:systemd-resolved(8). Do not edit.
> >#
> ># This is a dynamic resolv.conf file for connecting local clients to the
> ># internal DNS stub resolver of systemd-resolved. This file lists all
> ># configured search domains.
> >#
> ># Run "resolvectl status" to see details about the uplink DNS servers
> ># currently in use.
> >#
> ># Third party programs must not access this file directly, but only
> through
> >the
> ># symlink at /etc/resolv.conf. To manage man:resolv.conf(5) in a different
> >way,
> ># replace this symlink by a static file or a different symlink.
> >#
> ># See man:systemd-resolved.service(8) for details about the supported
> modes
> >of
> ># operation for /etc/resolv.conf.
> >
> >nameserver 127.0.0.53
> >options edns0 trust-ad
> >
> >Using nano it reverts immediately, I can edit the linked
> >(/run/systemd/resolve/resolv.conf) file, changing the last two lines to :
> >nameserver 8.8.8.8, and nameserver 8.8.4.4 will establish an internet
> >connection, but it does not survive a reboot.
> >Any suggestions on how to remedy this?
> >
> >TIA  Daryl
>
> The /run directory tree is a virtual file system created at boot time
> - it is all re-created each boot.  Normally, if the PC is getting its
> IP address via DHCP, it will also be getting the DNS server settings
> via DHCP from your router (which the router received from its
> connection to your ISP).  And it will all work completely
> automatically.  But if you have manually assigned a static IP address,
> no DHCP is being used and you will normally have to assign static DNS
> server addresses also.
>
> In recent Ubuntu versions, NetworkManager controls the network setup,
> and you will have used a GUI to tell it to use a static IP address. So
> you need to also tell it the correct DNS settings and have it put them
> in /etc/resolv.conf.  The way to do that varies depending on which
> desktop you are using.  Gnome has GUI that can do it in the Network
> section of its Settings program, below where you set a static IP
> address.
>
> If you are using a desktop that does not have such a way of setting it
> up (such as XFCE), I find the easiest way is to do static settings in
> the /etc/network/interfaces file.  Originally, this was the only
> method of configuring network connections and there were scripts that
> read the interfaces file and set things up from those settings.  But
> after NetworkManager came along, it now does that itself.  If it finds
> [...]

Thanks Stephen, I do use gnome desktop and have used network manager years
ago with a different VPN.
The free vpn I tried was all done automagically, and now I'm having trouble
undoing it. I found my ISP's primary DNS and secondary DNS, are you saying
I should be using these instead of google's? This would be only in the
interim until an automatic solution is found?