[mythtv-users] mythtv-setup hanging at Video Sources

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Jan 7 16:32:56 UTC 2023

On Sat, 7 Jan 2023 10:51:34 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sat, Jan 7, 2023 at 10:47 AM Ian Cameron <mkbloke at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, 7 Jan 2023 at 15:03, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I was trying to install MythTV and came to the part where I'm setting up
>>> the backend with mythtv-setup and when I select New Video Source it never
>>> responds. I can't exit, and have to switch to a console login (Ctl-Alt-F3)
>>> and reboot.
>>>

>> I saw somebody else report exactly the same issue on IRC in
>> #mythtv-users.  I was going to suggest they file an issue on GitHub about
>> it, but they'd left the channel by the time I saw it.  I'd suggest you do
>> that if nobody else has already.
>>
>>  Cheers, Ian
>>

>Okay, I will. Not sure I can be as helpful as I'd like with this lack of
>real data. I checked the logs and nothing of real interest.
>
>Jim A

Like all the MythTV programs, mythtv-setup.real accepts debug options
on its command line.  Run this from a command line to see the options:

mythtv-setup.real --help

When running it without --help, make sure to do it from the mythtv
user or a user in the mythtv group (such as the user that runs the GUI
and mythfrontend).  When run from the command line, the log output
will normally be back to that terminal, so you can see it and collect
it using a command line like this:

mythtv-setup.real --loglevel debug -v all 2&>1 | tee mythtv-setup.log