[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase failing after OS upgrade

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 21:01:36 UTC 2023

Hoi Daryl,

There is one thing you always have to remember when you move data like
this between old and new systems or even more important, share them
between two installation on one physical system.

usernames and groupnames are meaningless to the computer. The computer
uses the numerical u(ser)id and g(roup)id. For our benefit as stupid
mortals it translates it to a name.

However the translation between the numerical id's and the names is
unique to every installation, with the only exception of root. Root
always has a uid of 0 and a gid of 0. Some of the groups have
generally by agreement the same gid, but they could be another.

So if you create a new installation and want to copy or share data
with an old installation you have to ensure the involved users and
groups have the same uid and gid on both installations. You can set
the uid on user creation (if not already taken by another user).

This is why I use ldap for network wide user and group management. The
user hika and mythtv have the same uid on all computers and most
groups likewise.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven