[mythtv-users] Detecting new channels

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Wed Jan 4 23:06:31 UTC 2023

Using tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite, is there some easy way, perhaps via a
CLI option or enabling some logging, to notice if a new channel (really,
station or callsign) has appeared?  I imagine I could write something
which periodically ran sdjson-sqlite-select (as the myth user! :) or
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --list-channels (ditto) and compared the output
to the last time, but is there some easier way?  (I suppose I could also
periodically query the DB's channels table or somesuch.)  I note that
xmltv logging does show how many channels are being downloaded, but even
if I noticed a change in the number, it's not very helpful unless it also
tells me what's new.

(This is on a cable system, and the issue here is that new channels
occasionally pop up, but they're often untunable because they're not
part of my subscription package.  Yet myth may try to tune because
something matched a rule, but this leads to lots of failed recordings
until I periodically clean them out, so I'd like to notice faster and
make them invisible/delete them from my lineup if so.  But I'd also
rather not disable the ability to notice new channels if a tuneable
one does pop up.)

I've done some web searching but it's awfully hard to separate the wheat
from the chaff on such a generic set of keywords.  Tnx.