[mythtv-users] Delaying until HDHR tuners are up before starting mythtv-backend

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 03:30:54 UTC 2023

On Mon, Jan 2, 2023 at 9:48 PM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> What I would do with this sort of setup would be to not use link-local
> addressing as it is always a dodgy business with IPv4.  Especially
> when you want to use multiple network ports.  The right way to do this
> is to assign real IP addresses using one of the private address ranges
> (10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16).  Most home routers use a
> block of the 192.168.0.0/16 range for their addresses, so you would
> normally use a different block in that range.  Say your router is
> using 192.168.1.0/24, then you could use 192.168.99.0/24 for your HDHR
> subnet.  So you might set the Ethernet port to be a static address of
> 192.168.99.254, and then set up DHCP addressing for anything that
> connects to that Ethernet port to use addresses
> 192.168.99.100-192.168.99.200.  And then find out the MAC addresses of
> your HDHR devices and manually assign them a DHCP address that is
> outside the automatic DHCP address range, so use 192.168.99.1,
> 192.168.99.2 and so on.
>
> With all of that working, then you can just go back to using a ping of
> the HDHR IP address to delay mythbackend startup.  And it should be
> completely reliable.

Stephen,  In this case one ethernet port is connected to a router and has a
Reserved IP in that router so it's like a static ip.  The HDHR is connected
directly to the other ethernet port. The reason for this is the HDHR tuners
in my house do not play well with others and must be isolated somehow. I've
tried using name brand consumer switches and forming a logic tree with the
top switch connecting to the AP/router. I've heard the AP/routers don't
handle switching traffic between their lan ports well so I have the GbE
switches do that.  But with all that work I still get errors with my HDHR
tuners on recordings that don't get errors on a PCIe card tuner.

So I went down the path of directly connecting them and that works great.
I've never seen an error in a recording yet using this method.  I just need
the boot up timing issues to be resolved. Once I could get
"hdhomerun_config discover" on the local-link port connection to only
return the IPv4 address of the device, then I was set using
hdhomerun_check.py.  If the discover command returned 2 devices one IPv4
and one IPv6 for the same tuner, then it caused the mythbackend to fail.

I guess it would be possible for the PC with the 2 NICs to run bridge and
dhcp server for that 2nd port but I don't know how to do that if it's even
possible.

Jim A