[mythtv-users] Delaying until HDHR tuners are up before starting mythtv-backend

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 23:44:18 UTC 2023

On 1/2/23 16:55, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 2, 2023 at 5:42 PM James <jam at tigger.ws <mailto:jam at tigger.ws>> wrote:
>

>      > On 3 Jan 2023, at 6:27 am, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      >
>      > When I have my HDHR Quatro tuner connected to my router I'd just use a local-network-pingable service to wait until the tuners were
>     pingable.
>      > That works, but to reduce a lot of the network errors I was getting with the HDHR tuners I've been directly connecting them. That's been
>     working great with no errors due to the connection. But I've been restarting the backend manually to make sure the tuners were up.
>      >
>      > You can't use the pingable method of delaying the backend because the 169.254.x.x IP of the HDHR changes every boot. This doesn't affect
>     mythtv-backend because it uses the tuner ID so I need a new method of waiting on the tuners.
>
>     Jim I don't know how you do DNS. I use dnsmasq but every router/modem I've seen also allows you to assign a mac address to an IP so you
>     always get the same IP on the same device
>     James
>
> If I was connected to a router that is what I do.  In this case I'm directly connecting the HDHR tuner to a 2nd port on my NUC PC. In that case
> the HDHR will assign itself an IP of 169.254.x.x randomly on the x's. I just set up my PC port to a static IP of 169.254.0.1 with a subnet mask
> of 255.255.0.0. That all works, it is just the delaying function that is killing me. I guess I could do a delay on the mythtv-backend to wait
> for a mythtv-backend.timer to start 1 minute after boot. But who wants to introduce a race condition.
IPv4 Link Local on the host shouldn't have an address assigned either.
The two ends will figure their addresses out. Link Local should be an
option if you're setting the NIC up with some tool.

I DON'T think this is the issue, but it's the right thing to do.

Try:

   hdhomerun_config 1074C841 get /tuner0/status

the above after a restart and successful MANUAL discover command.

I'd disable backend startup to test ideas that prove tuners are
available (which is what the backend log is complaining about:

   ... Added 0 devices from 1074C841 ...

Bill