[mythtv-users] Recording from input video on demand, no tuner

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 18:21:04 UTC 2023

On Sun, Feb 19, 2023 at 12:32 PM Jay Harbeston <jharbestonus at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I’m wondering how this would work using the external video recorder as the
> tuner.  I’d like to be able to start ‘watching’ the video input, with no
> tuning required.
>
> While ‘watching ‘ the tuner, I’d like to be able to use the record button
> to start recording.. and then at predetermined time hit the record again to
> stop recording.
>
> Again, no tuning will be involved, just starting and stopping the external
> tuner.

Hi Jay,

I don't know if it will help you, but as of Mythtv v33, the
mythexternrecorder application now lets you set "per channel" tuning
command. See:
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Example_Configuration_files#Mythtv_v33_Example

That means your tuning command could be a no-op for specific channels that
you have defined.

John