[mythtv-users] Events at the beginning of a recording

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 12:15:08 UTC 2023

On 09/02/2023 12:33, John Pilkington wrote:
>> Just to state my understanding of your point: I believe you refer to
>> specifying pre and post-roll in recording rules, is that right? (Perhaps
>> I'm not using the correct terminology here; apologies if so).
>>
>> If so, the reason why I am now using the global pre-roll feature is
>> that, in my understanding, it enables back-to-back recordings on the
>> same capture card, whereas with recording rule-specified pre/post-rolls
>> two capture cards are needed to record back-to-back programs.
>>
> Maybe your more complex system has this problem, but I have no such
> difficulty with my DVB-T/T2 tuners when using a default recording rule,
> 2m early 4m late, with EIT data.  Most of my recordings are
> single-record only, aand back-to-back happens often.

Yes, a multirec-capable tuner (which most DVB-x tuners are) does not
have this problem to the same extent, because they natively support the
concept of multiplexes which MythTV's multirec capability was designed
for. My HDHR DVB-C tuner, for example, also does not, in that it has
multiple virtual tuners available that can be swung into service for the
purpose of back-to-back recordings (or indeed for parallel recordings of
any combination of channels on the same multiplex).

But the encrypted channels my cable company provides need to be accessed
by means of a set-top box, and there is presently no "multirec"
capability for one-channel-at-a-time capture cards.

Cheers, Jan