[mythtv-users] OS X Big Sur MythTV 0.33 Build core dump

John Hoyt john.hoyt at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 23:46:22 UTC 2023

On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 12:34 PM Dennis Alders <dennis.alders at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I have just upgraded most of my machines without any issue to the latest
> version of MythTV.
>
> However I failed to upgrade my OS X Big Sur machine. Unfortunately, both
> v0.33 versions provided by the awesome service on Sourceforge core dump.
> Yes, I have tried to open the application several times:
>
> MythFrontend-x86_64-11.7.3-v33.0-4-g761e7b05f7.dmg
> <https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/v33/macOS%2011%20Big%20Sur/MythFrontend-x86_64-11.7.3-v33.0-4-g761e7b05f7.dmg/download>
> MythFrontend-x86_64-11.7.3-v33.0-2-ga4a8ab0fc9.dmg
> <https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/v33/macOS%2011%20Big%20Sur/MythFrontend-x86_64-11.7.3-v33.0-2-ga4a8ab0fc9.dmg/download>
>
> From the console output it is not clear to me why the core dump occurs.
>
> An older version for v0.32 is still working for me though, since the
> database schema has not changed the WAF is not impacted.
>
> I noticed that for 11 intel Big Sur the versions verified to work run from
> version 11.0.1 through 11.6.
>
> The version I am currently using is 11.7.3. This may be the issue here. Is
> this version going to be supported in the future? Let me know if I can help
> with testing to find the root cause.
>
> Thanks for all your hard work!

Hi Dennis - I'll look into it, I have a Big Sur machine that I can test out
on (usually don't use that one for Mythfrontend).  Sourceforge seems to be
having issues currently - so I may not get to it until the weekend.

Did the core dump occur after trying to open the application or somewhere
else (like traversing the menus or trying to play an application)?

Did you get a crash log / notice from macOS?  If so, that may point to
which dylib caused the crash.

In regards to the notice - I need to update that.  I was building with VMs
locally for a while, but that became cumbersome and moved to GitHub CI to
build.

Regards,
John