[mythtv-users] Events at the beginning of a recording

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 19:30:41 UTC 2023

On 05/02/2023 18:27, Klaas de Waal wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> Yes, I can reproduce the problem.
>
> When a recording is scheduled *after* the start time of the program,
> including the preroll time, then the recording starts immediately.
> This is when you get a REC_PENDING with a negative SECS value and also
> the REC_PENDING comes after the REC_START.
> The correct behaviour here is that the REC_PENDING comes with a SECS
> value of 0 (or small positive) followed by the REC_START.
> This will be fixed.
>
> About why you see a REC_PENDING with a value of 5 seconds.
> The REC_PENDING logic is only activated after the WakeUpThreshold is
> passed so if your WakeUpThreshold is 5 seconds then the earliest
> REC_PENDING that you can get is 5 seconds before the recording starts.
> I think there is some confusion about minutes vs. seconds. The default
> value for WakeUpThreshold, when not defined in the database, is 5 minutes.
> My understanding is that the value in the database is in seconds.
> I recommend removing the value from the database or setting it to 300
> seconds.

I did as you suggested (set WakeUpThreshold to 300), and after
restarting the backend to make sure that it has seen the updated
parameter the result is as follows:

Feb  5 20:24:50 mythtv[2529215]:
/home/mythtv/system-events/recording-pending called with parameters 10
20230205203000 60 by PID 2529215
Feb  5 20:25:20 mythtv[2530041]:
/home/mythtv/system-events/recording-pending called with parameters 10
20230205203000 29 by PID 2530041
Feb  5 20:25:50 mythtv[2530903]:
/home/mythtv/system-events/recording-started called with parameters 10
20230205202600 by PID 2530903
Feb  5 20:25:50 mythtv[2530907]:
/home/mythtv/system-events/recording-pending called with parameters 10
20230205202600 -241 by PID 2530907

So I am indeed getting recording pending events before the recording
starts. It would be good if they came earlier still (my STB needs around
90s from power-on to start accepting infrared commands so that I can
change channels), but we're getting closer.

I can of course live with the recording pending event that still fires
after the recording has started, with a nonsensical negative value.

> Hope this helps and thanks for all the testing and reporting!

Yes, thank you very much for your help.

Cheers, Jan