[mythtv-users] MythTV and 4K HDR TVs

Will Dormann wdormann at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 17:27:12 UTC 2023

On 12/29/23 7:24 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
> I'll admit this can be considered nit-picking to some, but having spent
> years working with customers getting video playback right on embedded
> devices, I've watched too much video with a critical eye and it's a
> curse to your normal TV watching.

I can vouch for this!  :)
Once you learn about improper deinterlacing, swapped frame order,
unsynchronized frames, or other problems with digital video, you
(unfortunately?) lose the ability to *not* see these flaws.  Whereas
others may just shrug and assume that that's the way that things are.

All that aside, having recently switched from a combined FE/BE with a
discrete Nvidia card (for best quality output) to Leanfront FE (on a
FireTV 4K Max stick), I can say without a doubt that the Leanfront
playback is noticeably superior.  The most obvious test being any scene
with a horizontal scrolling, like a news ticker.  Nvidia was fine, but
the Leanfront output seems flawless.

-WD