[mythtv-users] To me this is a new introduced bug, or did something change

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 18:51:42 UTC 2023

On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 9:37 AM Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 April 2023 08:30:52 AM (-05:00), Peter Bennett wrote:
>

> > On 4/26/23 09:11, James Abernathy wrote:
> > >

> > > On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 7:40 AM Mike Perkins  wrote:
> > >

> > >     A quick note: If you add the mythtv user yourself, make sure it
> > >     has a repeatable UID and GID,
> > >     otherwise, should there be any new users added to your system(s)
> > >     in future, you'll get drift and
> > >     have to fix all the directories and files to point to the new
> values.
> > >
> > >     Ask me how I know! In practice I deliberately set mine to UID=1010
> > >     and GID=1010 just to keep them
> > >     clear of future problems.
> > >
> > >     --
> > >     Mike Perkins
> > >

> > > Thanks for the tip.  I have noticed when I create a new version of
> Ubuntu with a fresh install of MythTV, I have to do a lot of chown commands
> when bringing over my recordings from an old system before restoring the
> mythconverg database.
> > >
> > > So is UID 1010 and GID 1010 in a range that ubuntu will not use for
> its purposes?
> > >
> > > Jim A

> > The mythtv user as created by the package is a system user id. These are
> allocated in the range 100 to 999. I use an id of 200 for the mythtv user
> and mythtv group. System users are those that are never logged on directly,
> and thus do not appear in the drop down of users at the login screen. I
> would recommend using an id in the system range (100-999). 200 is good
> because it will not have been used yet. When you install ubuntu it
> allocates many ids in the system range, starting from 100. It is unlikely
> to reach 200 before you install mythtv. The allocation of system ids is
> clever enough not to have a problem with the extra id of 200 you add.
> Subsequent application installs will continue to use ids in the 100 range
> and will skip id 200 if it is already used.
> >
> > This is what I use. Does this create a home directory or do I need
> --home /home/mythtv on the adduser on the next version of ubuntu?
> >
> > addgroup --gid 200 mythtv
> > adduser --ingroup mythtv --system --uid 200 mythtv
> >
> > Peter
>
> In 23.04, -home /home/mythtv must be added. Otherwise adduser will put
> /nonexistant where the home would be.
> --
> Bill

IMHO I'd suggest not use the --system option on adduser and use the
--shell /bin/bash.  The reasoning is that most of the documentation on how
to work with mythfilldatabase is to do that as user 'mythtv'.  Especially
if you do XMLTV.  To do that right you need to sudo su mythtv and then run
the tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite commands.

Jim A