[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR500 replacement recommendations?

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 23:56:07 UTC 2023

On 4/17/23 12:54, Jan Ceuleers wrote:
> On 17/04/2023 18:44, David Newman wrote:
>> Recommendations for replacement of an ancient Hauppauge PVR500?
>>
>> After being powered on 4/7/365 for 13+ years the old Hauppauge box went
>> to the Great PVR Yard in the Sky, and the replacement PVR500 found on
>> eBay has USB and/or power-supply problems:
>>
>> device descriptor read/64, error -62
>>
>> This is for recording only in HD, not 4k/6k/8k, from a Spectrum cable TV
>> feed. The Hauppauge box connects via Firewire to an Arris DCX3200-M.
>>
>> What's a similar, more recent PVR box that will do the same thing?
> The PVR500 was connected to the STB by means of component video, was it?
>
> Is it not time to transition to a fully-digital recording pipeline? If
> so here are some ideas:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Recording_from_HDMI
>
> Not exactly a drop-in replacement: this is a bit of a project.

I have another solution that I have been using for over 2 years now. The
capture device I use costs around $18.00 from amazon (was $5 two years
ago). Still a lot less than HD PVR.

See https://github.com/bennettpeter/MythTV-LeanCapture#readme

My scripts are customized for Comcast, but something similar could be
done for other cable systems.

Peter