[mythtv-users] MythFillDatabase running, but not updating anything...

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at Comcast.net
Sun Apr 16 04:39:17 UTC 2023

On 4/15/23 14:34, Bill Meek wrote:

> On Saturday 15 April 2023 03:30:10 PM (-05:00), Douglas Peale wrote:

> tv_grab_zz_sdjson
> > >
> > > Is tv_grab_zz_sdjson installed?
> > > It was not.
> > > I tried running it, and it told me that I could install it by installing xmltv-util.
> > > Is there a reason this is not automatically installed when mythTV is installed?
>
> Good question, I'd say because XMLTV grabbers get selected by the user. I use the
> SQLite version too. Others like the text one. And then there's all of the grabbers for other
> countries.
>
> > I ran backend setup again so I could force a mythfilldatabase run.
> > > It now reports that it failed, and Mythweb actually reports that it ran today but failed, so the results are at least
> different now.
> > > I still don't know what I need to do to fix it.
> > > MythFillDatabase.log excerpt:

> > Apr 15 13:22:37 BlackBox mythfilldatabase: mythfilldatabase[2096762]: E CoreContext filldata.cpp:224 (GrabData) XMLTV
> grabber returned error code 1
> > Apr 15 13:22:37 BlackBox mythfilldatabase: mythfilldatabase[2096762]: E CoreContext xmltvparser.cpp:841 (parseFile)
> Malformed XML file, missing  element, at line 1, Premature end  of  document.
>

> I'd run it again but add: -v system,xmltv
>

> You'll see the actual command like used by the grabber. Run that (also as user mythtv) for clues.

Success!... I think.

I found the MythTV wiki on the subject and attempted to follow the instructions to configure the grabber, and failed miserably.

This sparked a memory of doing this years ago, and I remembered that the only way I succeeded last time was that I did it within
backend setup.

So I tried that.

Each video source had two EPG checkboxes, and two configure buttons. I checked each checkbox for EPG, and ran through the setup,
once for each button for each video source.

mythfilldatabase ran for much longer this time, and Mythweb says it succeeded.

All four of my video sources pull from the same schedules direct listing, since they are all over the air channels. Each source
is associated with a different antenna, so each is a different subset of the channels from the listing.

I have three antennas pointed at three different antenna farms, but one antenna has two HDHomeRun boxes attached, one of which
is ATSC3.0 capable, so it has to have a different video source since it can receive more channels than the ATSC 1.0 box.

I worry that this setup is causing mythfilldatabase to download the same data four times. It works, but I think it is causing
extra unnecessary work for the schedules direct server. Am I correct in this assumption? Is there a way I should have done it
differently so that the data is only downloaded once?

I enabled the EPG because there are quite a few channels that are not getting schedules from schedules direct since the xmltvid
is not populated. How is this being populated? It used to be that I had to do this manually, but it seems some of the channels
are getting automatically populated. The value used to be just a number, but now it includes a web address.

I think the reason that I failed to get the command line config to work is that I was confused and entered the listing name from
schedules direct instead of the video source name from mythTV.

In any case, it appears to be working now.

Thank you for your help.