[mythtv-users] Recommended replacement to mythbuntu-desktop for Ubuntu 22.04

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sun Sep 25 09:09:58 UTC 2022

On 22/09/2022 03:23, James Linder wrote:

>> On 22 Sep 2022, at 2:30 am, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On 21/09/2022 13:24, Tom Bishop wrote:

>>> Ubuntu-server is probably your best option which has a minimal installation
>>> option and then only install the packages that you want/need.
>> Why go to the monkey when you can go directly to the organ-grinder :)
>>
>> My main front end is a basic Debian install. Just untick everything except ssh and the tools. Once I reboot and get a login prompt I install lxde - note, not lxde-desktop, which pulls in everything including the kitchen sink. That gives me a GUI from which I can then install whatever bits of mythtv I need.
>>
>> I even have a much slimmer version which only uses openbox and automatically boots into nothing else but mythfrontend. If you are interested I'll have to dig out details; stuff has to be done in a certain order in order not to be locked out!
>
> First why bother?
>
> Second, as per Mike’s suggestion, there are LOTS of distros you can use, you just need to put in the hard-yard to install and maintain. Choose your option, I use SuSE minimum install (Really minimum, icewm no pulse, nothing) but imho ubuntu server is probably an easy way to go.
> If you are going to try to use a pre-packaged fe,be no doubt lots of dependancies will be pulled in.

There's a way to set up a frontend so that you can keep it up to date
remotely from the server that runs the backend. You never need to
physically touch the frontend or have any risk of down time because an
install runs into problems. You can use kiwi-ng to build a minimal
image. kiwi-ng has several options: it can produce installation media or
a Live CD image. A Live CD image is good because that uses a tmpfs
overlay, which in turn means there is no need to ever shut the frontend
down: cutting the power has no risk of leaving the disc in a bad state.
The Live CD image can be served from the backend using AOE, or can be
written to the frontend's disc. Even the writing of the image to disc
can be done remotely, so there is no need to physically touch the
frontend even for that stage. The frontend is set up to network boot
using grub, with config files on the backend controlling whether the
frontend boots using AOE or its local disc. Typical update workflow is
to build a new image on the server, change the frontend to boot from it
with AOE, test it for a bit and, if it works, write it to local disc and
change to boot from the disc.

Here's the kiwi-ng script I use:
https://github.com/Glidos/kiwi-mythfrontend. It's specific to SuSE and
my particular set up, but apparently kiwi-ng can be used for other distros.