[mythtv-users] Recommended replacement to mythbuntu-desktop for Ubuntu 22.04

Simon linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Sep 22 16:45:57 UTC 2022

OpenMedia Support <support at openmedia.co.nz> wrote:

> Been really happy with the small footprint the mythbuntu-desktop has
> always provided, but for a 22.04 upgrade I need to change to something
> else for my frontends
>
> xubuntu-desktop and lubuntu-desktop both pull in a lot of redundant
> packages I don't require. Any other recommended options?

Since I was not prepared to have systemd, I rolled my own with Devuan. Needed “a bit of learning”, but basically did a minimal install, added X and a window manager, figured out how to get an automatic login to a desktop, and how to then get that desktop to auto-start the FE. Now I can’t remember which components I used, or how it’s hung together - I just clone the SSD (20G with loads of space free, not forgetting to fiddle with hostname and /etc/network/interfaces) when I want a new FE.

Simon