[mythtv-users] Recommended replacement to mythbuntu-desktop for Ubuntu 22.04

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Sep 21 18:30:10 UTC 2022

On 21/09/2022 13:24, Tom Bishop wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 6:23 AM OpenMedia Support <support at openmedia.co.nz>
> wrote:

>>> Mate is the desktop that I have been using for most of my installs even
>>> for
>>> my daily driver, not as light as xubuntu-desktop but its pretty snappy
>> and
>>> does what I need/want...also use it for my daily driver for most all my
>>> installs. Still probably pulls more than you would like but its pretty
>>> light.
>>
>> currently all the alternative *-desktop options are too large for a
>> dedicated media frontent..
>>
>> Current frontend has 1644 packages already which is a bit heavy. EG Cups,
>> lots of unused fonts,
>>
>> xubuntu-desktop would add 425 packages which includes games, more fonts,
>> more cups components, plus libreoffice.
>>
>> Even swapping to ubuntu-server adds a lot of stuff I simply don't need.
>> Any other options?
>

> Ubuntu-server is probably your best option which has a minimal installation
> option and then only install the packages that you want/need.

Why go to the monkey when you can go directly to the organ-grinder :)

My main front end is a basic Debian install. Just untick everything except ssh and the tools. Once I
reboot and get a login prompt I install lxde - note, not lxde-desktop, which pulls in everything
including the kitchen sink. That gives me a GUI from which I can then install whatever bits of
mythtv I need.

I even have a much slimmer version which only uses openbox and automatically boots into nothing else
but mythfrontend. If you are interested I'll have to dig out details; stuff has to be done in a
certain order in order not to be locked out!

--

Mike Perkins