[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend failing to display subtitles for some type of file

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sun Sep 4 16:33:13 UTC 2022

On 04/09/2022 15:28, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> On 04/09/2022 14:34, John Pilkington wrote:
>> On 04/09/2022 13:36, Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>> One further discovery: if I demux the orifinal file to produce two
>>> files, one containing combined video and audio, the other (a .srt
>>> file) containing just the subtitles, mythfrontent displays the
>>> subtitles without problem. The logs suggest this mode uses a very
>>> different code path, so the experiment didn't help track down the cause.
>>>
>>> I wonder if, in the failing case - without demuxing, the subtitles
>>> are being displayed off screen or with opacity 0. Perhaps it's
>>> silently failing to load a font. The logs show events as each
>>> subtitle should be displayed.
>>>
>>> At the moment I can't think of a way to track this down further.
>>
>> I habitually drop subtitles, so don't have much practical experience;
>> but your posted log included
>>
>> AFD: ScanATSCCaptionStreams() called with no PMT
>
> Yes, I did notice that eventually, after having wrongly posted that
> there were no errors. The strange thing is that mythfrontend still
> offers the option to enable/disable these subtitles during playback and
> some sort of libass event occurs as the time of each phrase is reached.
> I suppose it's a possibility that - due to that error above -
> mythfrontend is setting itself up unable to respond to those events.
>
>> which doesn't look good.
>>
>> I posted my 'typical' remux command line on the dev list on Tuesday.
>> It migh be worth adding an 'scodec copy' phrase to that;  and use
>> mythffmpeg...
>
> Thanks. That's a possibility I guess. My current work around is to use
> leanfront instead for this type of file, but then it's a pain not to
> have a simple toggle button for subtitle on/off.

It turns out that, installed on another machine, mythfrontend shows the
subtitles. For my "production" frontend, I build the disc image using a
program called kiwi-ng. That builds a minimal system, so if my
mythfrontend package has missing dependencies they wont be installed.
Also I build my own packages, so missing dependencies are not unlikely.
It may just be a commonly used package of fonts I need, or something
like that.