[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend failing to display subtitles for some type of file

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 13:34:13 UTC 2022

On 04/09/2022 13:36, Paul Gardiner wrote:
> One further discovery: if I demux the orifinal file to produce two
> files, one containing combined video and audio, the other (a .srt file)
> containing just the subtitles, mythfrontent displays the subtitles
> without problem. The logs suggest this mode uses a very different code
> path, so the experiment didn't help track down the cause.
>
> I wonder if, in the failing case - without demuxing, the subtitles are
> being displayed off screen or with opacity 0. Perhaps it's silently
> failing to load a font. The logs show events as each subtitle should be
> displayed.
>
> At the moment I can't think of a way to track this down further.

I habitually drop subtitles, so don't have much practical experience;
but your posted log included

AFD: ScanATSCCaptionStreams() called with no PMT

which doesn't look good.

I posted my 'typical' remux command line on the dev list on Tuesday.  It
migh be worth adding an 'scodec copy' phrase to that;  and use
mythffmpeg...

HTH

John P