[mythtv-users] User Jobs - transcoding?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 18:14:05 UTC 2022

On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 11:23 AM Roland Ernst <rcrernst at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 26, 2022 at 4:48 PM Jay Harbeston <jharbestonus at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Oct 26, 2022, at 10:37 AM, Jay Harbeston <jharbestonus at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> On Oct 26, 2022, at 9:37 AM, James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I'm running the latest v32 on Ubuntu 22.04 and experimenting with
>> commercial flagging, editing, and  transcoding.
>>
>> My problem is with the User Job Transcode.  Using mythfrontend I navigate
>> to the recording and instead of playing it I navigate to User Jobs and
>> select Transcode video and then select default profile.  The job will queue
>> but fail immediately.
>>
>> Not sure if I have to set up something first, but it's not working by
>> default. Here's the transcode log.
>>
>> Oct 26 09:22:04 kubuntu-closet mythtranscode: mythtranscode[217202]: E
>> CoreContext transcode.cpp:729 (TranscodeFile) No video information found!
>> Oct 26 09:22:04 kubuntu-closet mythtranscode: mythtranscode[217202]: E
>> CoreContext transcode.cpp:730 (TranscodeFile) Please ensure that recording
>> profiles for the transcoder are set
>> Oct 26 09:22:04 kubuntu-closet mythtranscode: mythtranscode[217202]: E
>> CoreContext main.cpp:746 (main) Transcoding
>> /data/mythtv/recordings/16218_20221004020000.ts failed
>>

>> Looks like this is the problem. You need some recording profiles. I did
>> do this long ago, but don’t remember whether they are defined in the
>> frontend or backend.
>>

>> Additional note: they are defined in mythtv-setup under "3. Recording
>> Profiles”. They settings have changed since I messed with them long ago!
>>

> And if you want to transcode lossless using the cutlist, there is no setup
> in the GUI to force this. You need to add an additional flag in the
> database:
> See https://github.com/MythTV/mythtv/issues/581#issuecomment-116649216
> and
> https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/users/624822
> for further information
> This only works for files of type  MPEG2VIDEO !

I can't say I understand much of the threads you pointed me to.  From what
I can see the built in transcode options don't work at all and you have to
build a UserJob to do any transcoding.  I was just hoping that I could find
a built-in option that would take an existing recording with a cutlist and
just copy it, removing what the cutlist had tagged and put the file back in
place of the original.

I have a User Job that takes a recording with commercials tagged and
manually edited to create the cutlist and then transcode it to .m4v and
move it to a directory on my NAS.  My job is based on the one in this Forum
topic (
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1261&p=7857&hilit=sendTVtoNAS#p7857
)

This script uses mythutil, mythtranscode, and handbrake to accomplish this.
I guess I could create another script to just do the transcode honoring the
cutlist, but I figured that would be one of the default scripts.

Jim A