[mythtv-users] leanfront on my phone (pixel 4a)

George Bingham georgeb1962 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 04:00:04 UTC 2022

On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 10:36 PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 11:58 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > It is interesting that SiliconDust HD app plays MPEG2 fine on my phone
>
> A couple of data points there.
>
> * While most SoCs that support H.264/H.265 also support
>   MPEG2, not all vendors license MPEG2 (Apple is a notorious
>   example where they refused to enable hardware MPEG2
>   decode when the VPU was known to include it).
>
> * Even when the vendor licenses the MPEG2 codec, not all
>   choose to include it in their particular version of mediacodec.
>
> * Not all vendors include updates from the SoC manufacturer
>   for identified bugs (so bugs last forever).
>
> * SiliconDust has an entire Android team (not just one Peter),
>   and QA is absolutely resource intensive.
>
> * SiliconDust will fall back from hardware to a software
>   implementation if mediacodec indicates a particular
>   codec is not available, or certain errors are encountered.
>
>   SiliconDust also has a (paid) license from MPEG-LA
>   (and others as needed) to enable those software fallbacks
>   (and I doubt Peter has the funds to license those codecs).
>
> * SiliconDust also a list of specific devices which are
>   shown to have broken implementations (even when
>   android indicates the decode is available), and fall back
>   to software (or are blocked entirely from installing
>   the app at all).  This is based on their experience, and
>   because whenever a new device is introduced, they
>   bought one to test/verify (I doubt Peter has that kind of
>   funding).
>
>   So, if you are asking Peter to support *your* device,
>   I would recommend you talk with him and ask if
>   sending him one of those devices is a viable option
>   (i.e. when you buy one, buy two, and send one to
>   Peter).

That's not my issue...

The full mythtv frontend did work as far as playing recordings (that were
made ota in the usa ) but when I upgraded to v32, I could no longer control
it via touch screen gestures / zones. I thought that support had been
removed for touch control so I uninstalled it. But another user is able to
use those features in v32 so I thought I'd try again to get it to work.

So, now I've  Re installed mythtv, but cannot connect to the backend
because I can't connect to the database without telling it the ip address
of my mythtv backend & or supply the proper mythtv password.

I can't edit the field in the popups... that's where I'm stuck.

How do you tell it to bring up the onscreen keyboard before being able to
launch the full app and bring up settings?