[mythtv-users] leanfront

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 19:44:52 UTC 2022

On 10/16/22 12:41, Mike Hodson wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 16, 2022, 09:15 James <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>
>     I've a samsung smart TV, it's probably android but they hide it.
>
> Samsung Tizen is Linux based, but not android. It's fairly limited in
> what it can do and honestly I don't like it.
>

>     So I thought to make a 'lean FE' that can be plugged in a usb
>     port, to let her access my BE.
>

> HDMI stick that is its own operating system and computer running
> Android would be doable, USB not so much. USB is file storage, and you
> aren't going to be able to execute files from it on Tizen, without
> some major hack I've not seen yet. It's not as simple as just enabling
> side loading.
>
> Samsung makes great LCD panels, but the rest of the 'smart' package is
> pretty dumb.
>
> Mike

Your best bet is an android streaming device. The onn I have got and it
works well at $19.88, from Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/onn-Android-TV-4K-UHD-Streaming-Device-with-Voice-Remote-Control-HDMI-Cable/636597403?athbdg=L1100

Or amazon fire stick 4k at $49.99 is about the same performance at over
twice the price but frequently on sale for $27

Also amazon fire stick lite for $29.99 if you don't need 4K, performance
is a little slower.

Other android streaming sticks should also work, although they are may
not support MPEG-2.

Peter