[mythtv-users] leanfront

James jam at tigger.ws
Sun Oct 16 15:14:04 UTC 2022

> On 16 Oct 2022, at 9:29 pm, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 10/15/22 21:41, James Linder wrote:
>> Guys after watching this thread awhile I’ve decided to play with leanfront,
>>
>> My eventual target would be the usb on a smart TV.
>>
>> My backend is 32.
>>
>> I’m quite happy building, my BE and FEs are built from src, and I have built QT android apps.
>>
>> With the collected experience may I have opinion and pointers
>>
>> Thanks
>> James
>>
> If you want to build it the instructions are in the readme. Note that the commercial skip stuff is currently in the devel branch on git. Once I am happy with it I will merge it into the master branch.
>
> If your smart tv is android based you should be able to run it there. I am running on an amazon fire tv.
>
> How would you use the usb? Normally on android the apps are installed into internal storage.

Whoa Peter, you're running and I'm crawling :-)

After reading the thread I thought I'd do something.
I've a samsung smart TV, it's probably android but they hide it. I thought to make some sort of leanfront, it sounds as if you are happy with, a fire TV.
My wife is the usual TV user. She uses an apple tv and following (very rare in Perth) a major lightning strike her apple TV was toast. I got a -4 replacement, that allows custom apps, but the advertised mythtv app is like a mirage. One month if I get bored I'll look at making an app but the apple eco system is alien (Just get comment from John Hoyt who made mac FEs)(Also, fostered by apple, common but not univesal) is the attitude that 'I created this marvelous app, and as God's gift to humanity, you can shower me with money'

So I thought to make a 'lean FE' that can be plugged in a usb port, to let her access my BE.

So I was canvasing opinion on what hardware, if leanfront vs a full FE is better etc

Cheers
James