[mythtv-users] Commercial Skip and seek table in leanfront

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 14:45:25 UTC 2022

On 10/16/22 10:23, James Abernathy wrote:
> It's hard for me to really say what is happening.  If I don't manually
> edit the commercials, then I have 90% of the commercials still
> present.  So it's hard to know what is working. The automatic scanning
> usually doesn't detect the first part of a string of commercials.
>  For example on CBS, on a 4 minute commercial break, it missed the
> first 3 minutes and then skipped.  I was hoping that I could manually
> edit with mythfrontend on a PC and then test the commercial skip with
> leanfront.
>
> Until the automatic commercial flagging works, I'll just do what I've
> always done, just click forward and backwards a few times. I find that
> it the flagging doesn't stop in time it's almost impossible to
> manually skip backwards to the start of a segment of the program
> because the autoskip won't let you.
>
> Jim A

Commercial scanning is rather unreliable, so if it misses part of a
commercial it is probably the scanning that is wrong. I suggest you
check by running on mythfrontend, to compare the results with leanfront.
If the skips are at the same place then leanfront is working OK and the
scanning may be off.

With leanfront if you skip into the middle of what is flagged as a
commercial break it will skip to the end of the break, except for the
last break skipped. The last break is an exception so that if while
watching you encounter a commercial break that skips too much you can
easily skip back.

If you want to skip back to the start of the show, just hold down the
left arrow and it will move backwards rapidly towards the beginning
without doing any commercial skipping.

You can also turn on the notify option instead of the skip option. That
gives you a choice every time you get to a commercial as to whether to
skip it or not, also when you go backwards into a commercial it will not
skip forward again, but give you the option.

If you want to correct your skip list using mythfrontend, you need to
use the Z key (LOADCOMMSKIP) to load the comm skip list into the cut
list first. see https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Editing_Recordings.

Note that is there is a cut list and a comm skip list it will use the
cut list and ignore the comm skip list. This is why you need to load the
comm skip list into the cut list.

Is it now working on V32 ?  Others have it working.

Peter