[mythtv-users] Recording earliest showing

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Oct 10 07:29:42 UTC 2022

On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 21:48:41 -0700, you wrote:

>The weird thing is that this has just started recently for a couple of
>shows. No significant additions to recording sched (unless it's shows from
>old recording rules coming back to life?).
>
>I don't update my server or myth once I have it working for fear of
>incurring a week of debugging/fixing. Depend on router config for security.
>
>Question really is: How do I force the scheduler to record the earliest
>available episode? Would Record Options > Schedule Filters > First Showing
>do it?

You need to diagnose why it is recording at later times.  There is
always a reason.  In the upcoming list, find the first recording time
for a show that is recording later, and see what is recording at that
time - are all the tuners in use?  If so, what is using them?

The output of this command:

mythbackend --printsched

can also be useful - it displays all the matches against your
recording rules that the scheduler found and what it decided to do for
each of them.  The N column gives the tuner number when the scheduler
selects that time to record, or a letter code saying why the rule
match at that time was not chosen to record.  Here are the meanings of
the letter codes that I normally see:

P = previously recorded
R = previously recorded, recording still available
E = recording in an earlier timeslot
L = recording in a later timeslot
N = no match in timeslot (usually a "Record this showing" rule where
the EPG has been later updated to move the recording time more than 5
minutes from where this rule is set to record)
C = conflict, not recording