[mythtv-users] new drive

Doug Larrick doug at parkercat.org
Wed Nov 23 14:07:35 UTC 2022

On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 13:48:25 -0500
Daryl McDonald <darylangela at gmail.com> wrote:

> After more than ten years of mild use my initial storage drive is
> failing, which prevents the system from auto-starting when it needs
> repair. The replacement will arrive shortly, the failing drive has
> the boot record, recordings, banners, db backups, etc., no operating
> system. Should I clone it? use dd, or gparted? If the UUID is
> different, then fstab will need modification too. Is there an elegant
> way to do this?  TIA  Daryl

Alternative: since you say your OS is on another drive and this one is
just data, partition it as a new drive and mount in a new location,
then add the new location as a Storage Directory in MythTV (in the same
/ default Storage Groups for each type of file). Move the recording &
other files over using normal file-level commands (`mv` or a tarpipe).
Then remove the old drive from the Storage Group and decommission it.

My only concern is you say the boot record is on the old drive. If you
can move that to the OS drive you'll be better off long-term -- fewer
single points of failure.

-Doug