[mythtv-users] new drive

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Nov 23 13:44:12 UTC 2022

On Wed, 23 Nov 2022 06:52:36 -0500, you wrote:

>On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 12:28 AM James <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:
>

>> On 23 Nov 2022, at 11:55 am, Ram Ramesh <rramesh2400 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> As long as the new drive is as big as the old drive, you can create
>> (empty) partitions of the same (or bigger) size on the new disk and "dd"
>> each partition from old drive to new drive. This will keep everything
>> intact including UUID. I have copied UEFI boot disk this way and the copy
>> works exactly as the original. The only caution is that you cannot put both
>> drives in the same machine as there will be duplication of all sorts of
>> data/meta-data between the two disks.
>>
>> This worked even for windows C drive. However, you sometimes have to
>> reactivate depending up on what other hardware you changed.
>>
>> If you are moving from smaller to larger disk, you can create larger
>> partitions on the new disk, dd the smaller to larger partitions, boot up
>> the new system and grow each filesystem as needed.
>>
>> I find this method to be the easiest. However, one needs to be careful and
>> not make mistakes.
>>

>> Clonezilla will look after all the gritty stuff, including different size
>> disks, and although dd is an essential part of my tool kit I suggest it is
>> not the correct tool here.
>> James
>>

>> The new drive is the same size, my use case is record, watch, delete. I
>use a dual boot OS ssd, so I think the simplest solution will be to use dd
>or gparted (copy / paste). Will either of those recreate the device label?

I believe gparted will copy the label when it copies a partition, but
I think it will create a new UUID as otherwise the same UUID would be
existing in two places on the same system at the same time.  With dd
or gparted, you *must* make sure that the drive is not in use at all
when it is copied - all the partitions on it must be unmounted first.
I think gparted checks for that, but dd definitely does not!