[mythtv-users] Smart TVs that can run Mythtv-Leanfront?

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 21:12:00 UTC 2022

On 19/11/2022 15:16, John Pilkington wrote:
> [...]
>>     is missing HDMI sound.
>>
>>     Before the bricking I could get sound from the Firestick 4K via
>> the TV
>>     headphone socket, but these now seem to be almost extinct,
>> replaced by
>>     Bluetooth.  So I have bought a DAB-radio with Bluetooth, to see how
>>     it goes.
>>
>>     I do get BT audio, which sounds reasonable, but with quirks.  'Ticks'
>>     from a testcard are heard as 'shushes'.  Some googling suggests that
>>     the
>>     audio codecs in both the Firestick and the Bluetooth receiver are not
>>     the best for high-quality audio, and I don't think that either can be
>>     changed.  Kodi on the Firestick shows the effect too.
>>
>>     So what, going forward, is the best way to get good stereo (or other)
>>     audio from Firestick-like systems?  I guess that if I really feel the
>>     need I should look for HDMI audio extractors.
>>
>>     John P
>>

>> In my case my TV watching is from 10 ft. away in the family room, so
>> I'm looking for a 65" 4K TV. My audio is from a Denon AVR and my 5.1
>> speakers are built into the ceiling except for the subwoofer. When we
>> downsized and built this smaller house I got rid of the massive sound
>> system I had along with the Home Theater room.  So building in smaller
>> round speakers into the ceiling was a good compromise.
>>
>> The Denon AVR is connected  to the TV via HDMI via the ARC port on the
>> TV.  So whether I am watching the Apps on the Smart TV or on the
>> FIreTV, the sound comes via the Denon AVR and speakers.
>>
>> The leading candidate TV at this point is the Sony 65" X90CK mainly
>> because it supports ATSC 3.0 NextGen TV and it's a Full Array LED.
>> This makes it a good midrange TV better than I have and not too
>> expensive. RIght now at Costco it's $999 including a 5 year warranty.
>> Since it's Google TV with Android OS it should run Leanfront. If that
>> is the case I can retire my FIreTV 4K stick.
>>
>> Back to one remote hopefully. Since Logitech is no longer making Smart
>> Hub Harmony remotes this will help me dispose of all the HDMI Switches
>> with remotes, and HDMI Splitters for sound and optical splitters,
>>
>> At 71, it's time to simplify.
>>
>> JIm A
>>

> I was looking at the 'Freeview' site in an attempt to find out whether
> the EIT information that I see really shows all the info that is
> transmitted;  sometimes it seems wilfully uninformative.  But then I
> found this page, listing devices with 'Freeview Play'.  The Sony TV
> there looked a good match to my usage as mentioned above (I don't think
> I'll miss the pixels, or the inches) -  and I took delivery today.  With
> the multiple legal acceptances clicked it's looking and sounding good.
> It's playing well from the F36 Mythbox via HDMI, and BBC Sounds via the
> net and my old stereo system. I haven't yet tried installing extra apps,
> and I'm not sure whether it will want 32 or 64 bit builds when the time

Playback was good with the Firestick 4K in the tv's HDMI input 1, but
managing both remotes was clearly going to be a pain.  I've just put
Peter's v392 build of leanfront on both devices, and the results from
both the native tv and the firestick/HDMI are looking good.

Also, with today's master, I got a full MythArchive DVD .iso from
pre-cut DVB-T recordings;  it used to be part of my routine but my
occasional attempts to use it over the past few years had all failed.