[mythtv-users] Smart TVs that can run Mythtv-Leanfront?

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 22:21:30 UTC 2022

On Fri, Nov 11, 2022 at 4:32 PM John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 11/11/2022 17:47, James Abernathy wrote:
> > My old UHD 4k tv is losing some of its backlight and I'm going to
> > replace it during the Black Friday sales. So I'm thinking about whether
> > any of the Smart TVs can already run some of the MythTV Android apps.
> > Leanfront would be the key one.
> >
> > The Sony X90CK says its Smart Platform is Google TV.
> >
> > Has anyone tested Leanfront on a Sony TV with Google TV built-in??
> >
> > Jim A
>
> I haven't, but perhaps I can take up the 'replacing a TV' theme, with
> some relevance to leanfront.
>
> I had two old smart TVs 'brick' last year.  The reason wasn't clear.
>
> Since then my watching has been on monitors, with stereo hi-fi sound
> from the PC line output. One of the monitors has digital video input but
> is missing HDMI sound.
>
> Before the bricking I could get sound from the Firestick 4K via the TV
> headphone socket, but these now seem to be almost extinct, replaced by
> Bluetooth.  So I have bought a DAB-radio with Bluetooth, to see how it
> goes.
>
> I do get BT audio, which sounds reasonable, but with quirks.  'Ticks'
> from a testcard are heard as 'shushes'.  Some googling suggests that the
> audio codecs in both the Firestick and the Bluetooth receiver are not
> the best for high-quality audio, and I don't think that either can be
> changed.  Kodi on the Firestick shows the effect too.
>
> So what, going forward, is the best way to get good stereo (or other)
> audio from Firestick-like systems?  I guess that if I really feel the
> need I should look for HDMI audio extractors.
>
> John P

In my case my TV watching is from 10 ft. away in the family room, so I'm
looking for a 65" 4K TV. My audio is from a Denon AVR and my 5.1 speakers
are built into the ceiling except for the subwoofer. When we downsized and
built this smaller house I got rid of the massive sound system I had along
with the Home Theater room.  So building in smaller round speakers into the
ceiling was a good compromise.

The Denon AVR is connected  to the TV via HDMI via the ARC port on the TV.
So whether I am watching the Apps on the Smart TV or on the FIreTV, the
sound comes via the Denon AVR and speakers.

The leading candidate TV at this point is the Sony 65" X90CK mainly because
it supports ATSC 3.0 NextGen TV and it's a Full Array LED.  This makes it a
good midrange TV better than I have and not too expensive.  RIght now at
Costco it's $999 including a 5 year warranty.  Since it's Google TV with
Android OS it should run Leanfront. If that is the case I can retire my
FIreTV 4K stick.

Back to one remote hopefully. Since Logitech is no longer making Smart Hub
Harmony remotes this will help me dispose of all the HDMI Switches with
remotes, and HDMI Splitters for sound and optical splitters,

At 71, it's time to simplify.

JIm A