[mythtv-users] Problems when streaming from a web site

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 13:49:42 UTC 2022

On 11/5/22 21:03, Scott Simpson wrote:
> Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
> mythtv-backend/jammy,now
> 2:32.0+fixes.202211050719.18f5b48ee1~ubuntu22.04.1
> ffmpeg/jammy-updates,jammy-security,now 7:4.4.2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1
>
> I have a set up with two sources of input: an HDHomeRun Prime
> (Spectrum) and an external tuner that reads from a web site. The
> recordings from the HDHomeRun Prime get created correctly and
> everything works fine. When I use the external tuner, it creates the
> video of the correct length but skipping forward doesn't work. If the
> video is an hour say, when I skip forward 30 seconds it will say 6
> minutes or something like that. If I get to the end when skipping
> forward it starts the video over. If I just let the video play, it
> plays for an hour.
>
> If I play the video as an ASF stream through MythWeb (through VLC on
> Windows) the video plays fine and is of the correct length. I can jump
> around through the video this way (but no commercial skip).
>
> The external tuner uses this ffmpeg command on reading:
>
> [RECORDER]
> command="ffmpeg -hide_banner -nostats -loglevel fatal -re -i %URL%
> -c:v copy -c:a copy -f mpegts -"

I suggest encode to h264 and aac using:

-c:v libx264 -preset veryfast -crf 21  -c:a aac

I use crf 21 for 720p, 23 for 1080p and 22 for 480p

CPU usage is higher, but I have had perfect results and no skipping
problems. You can see my entire set of scripts here:

https://github.com/bennettpeter/MythTV-LeanCapture

Peter