[mythtv-users] Fwd: Unicable problems

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue May 24 03:29:42 UTC 2022

On Mon, 23 May 2022 22:58:52 +0100, you wrote:

> [...]

It looks like there are specific Unicable settings in mythtv-setup.
They are in they in the same place that the DiSEqC settings are, but
the Wiki page for Scanning only says <TBD> rather than describing how
to use them.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Channel_Scanning

On my main MythTV box, I use Sat>IP tuners for my DVB-S(2) tuners to
run Oscam on them, but I do have one spare DVB-S2 tuner that I can use
directly in MythTV, so I ran mythtv-setup and tried to configure a new
tuner using it.  I was able to find the Unicable settings by scrolling
down to the DiSEqC settings at the bottom of the list of options for
the tuner, then using right arrow to being up a "Device Type" option
with a current setting of "Unconnected".  Hitting Enter there brought
up a Device Type selection list that included Unicable, and selecting
that brought up a set of Unicable options available after using the
right arrow key.  Note that for my MythCenter-wide theme, the DiSEqC
settings are off the bottom of the screen and you need to scroll down
to see that line.

I am running v32, and it has had some improvements done on the tuner
and setup code so if you do not have those options, it would be a good
idea to upgrade.

In the past when I used to use loopback DVB-S tuners, I can vaguely
remember having problems with scanning using the looped back copy of
tuner instead of the direct tuner.  So I did the channel scanning
using a direct tuner, but adjusted the setup after that so that the
loopback tuners were used for the actual recording.

One other way to do Unicable would be to use minisatip (or TVHeadend)
to turn your DVB-S(2) tuners into Sat>IP tuners.  Then minisatip would
be talking to Oscam and you could get MythTV to tune using the Sat>IP
tuners.  But you would need to upgrade to MythTV v32 to get Sat>IP
support.