[mythtv-users] Messed up xorg configuration

Kenneth Emerson kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
Sun May 22 00:16:49 UTC 2022

While trying to solve another issue, I've created a new one for myself.
While playing with different themes, I forgot that I had made a custom
theme from one of the existing ones.  When I tried to upgrade and/or change
the theme I ended up in a deep hole.  Nothing would work except the
myth-center-wide.  Every other one gave me errors regarding the video.

In trying to fix this, thinking it really was a video issue, I upgraded my
Nvidia driver, which worked (the driver did) but of course, it didn't solve
the problem.  Once I got my head out of my arse, I realized what I had done
and restored the custom theme in my home directory.  That fixed theme
problem and then the problem I currently have:

The frontend works fine when the TV is turned on and the AVR is switched to
the correct HDMI input (the mythtv server).  But as soon as I either turn
off the TV or the AVR, the NVIDIA driver or the GUI kills the HDMI output
and my only recourse is to restart the GUI (I'm using lightdm). I've set up
what I thought used to work in the xorg.conf file:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    Option         "StandbyTime" "0"
    Option         "SuspendTime" "0"
    Option         "OffTime" "0"
    Option         "BlankTime" "0"
    Option         "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

    # HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "DENON, Ltd. DENON-AVR"
    HorizSync       30.0 - 255.0
    VertRefresh     24.0 - 120.0
#   ModeLine       "3840x2160_60" 593.41 3840 4016 4104 4400 2160 2168 2178
2250 +hsync +vsync
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection
Section "Device"

    Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
    Option         "CustomEDID" "DFP-1:/etc/X11/edid.bin"
    Option         "IgnoreEDID" "FALSE"
    Option         "UseEDID" "TRUE"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
    BoardName      "GeForce GT 1030"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "nvidiaXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-1"
    Option         "metamodes" "3840x2160 +0+0"
    Option         "SLI" "Off"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
#    Option         "ModeDebug" "TRUE"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

I've tried several different drivers (430, 450, 470, 510) and currently
have 470 installed, but they all produced the same problem.  So the
configuration is a PC with a GT 1030 video card, HDMI out to a Denon AVR
and HDMI from Denon to an LG TV capable of 3840x2160.  I've set the power
options in lightdm to all off for the monitor (no sleep, no auto off,
etc).  Either turn off the TV or the Denon and I cannot get a signal out of
the GT 1030 card that either the Denon or the TV sees ( I'm assuming it's
the Denon that needs to see the signal and if the TV is turned off, the
Denon switches off the HDMI input.  There are no errors shown in the
Xorg.0.log and it does show the DFP-1 is connected to the LG even if they
are turned off (both DVR and TV) which, I assume, is because I am using a
custom edid.bin file.

Any thoughts as to what I'm forgetting to do?

Regards,

Ken Emerson