[mythtv-users] Moving recordings to a different physical drive

Dave Ulrick d-ulrick at comcast.net
Wed May 18 22:29:38 UTC 2022

Hi,

I've been using a NAS-resident iSCSI LUN of 2 TB to store the majority
of my MythTV recordings. The NAS has two 4 TB drives in a RAID-1 array.
Now I'm thinking of converting the NAS from spinning to SSD drives but 4
TB SSD drives are very expensive (given the ongoing supply chain &
inflation woes, I doubt they'll get cheaper any time soon). This gave me
the idea of using two 1 TB SSD drives I have on hand as local storage on
my backend box. First, I'd move the recordings off the iSCSI LUN onto
the local SSDs. Then I could rebuild the NAS from scratch using a pair
of 2 TB SSD drives which are far more affordable than 4 TB drives.

So, to migrate from the NAS to the local SSDs, I think I'll do the
following:

1. Stop mythbackend.
2. Copy the recordings from the NAS to the SSDs.
3. Remove the recordings from the NAS.
4. Remove the iSCSI LUN's mount point from the MythTV storage groups.
5. Start mythbackend.

Will this cover everything? Will MythTV be able to find the recordings
OK as long as they are present under a directory in the right storage
group, or do I have to do anything with MythTV's MySQL database?

Thanks,
Dave