[mythtv-users] Moving my MythDB

Ian Cameron mkbloke at gmail.com
Wed May 11 09:33:52 UTC 2022

> On Wed, 11 May 2022 at 08:00, James <jam at tigger.ws> wrote:

Use mythconverg_backup.pl Then you can put the backup where you like.

If backups are the issue here (although I think the OP really wants
separation of data from the system), then it's likely they are already
being made if a packaged version of MythTV is installed.  The Ubuntu PPA,
for example, runs a backup via /etc/cron.weekly/mythtv-database which in
turn runs mythconverg_backup.pl.  Where that ends up with the PPA I'm not
100% sure as I am personally using an old Debian 0.28 installation, but
it's likely there will be mythconverg.sql.* files in /var/backup which can
be safely backed up.  If they are stored elsewhere, hopefully somebody else
can confirm the location.  If more frequent backups are wanted, you could
run the backup script in /etc/cron.daily instead.

The other option (moving the data to separate it) could be done by shutting
down mythtv-backend and mysql services, moving the mysql directory from
from /var/lib to say, /home and then either reconfiguring mysql or using a
symbolic link, but as mentioned previously, AppArmor config might need
adjusting in that case depending on your distribution.

Cheers, Ian