[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HVR 5525 cx23885 Soft Reboot

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Mon May 9 17:26:59 UTC 2022

On Sat, May 7, 2022 at 2:25 PM Ken Smith via mythtv-users <
mythtv-users at mythtv.org> wrote:

> Stephen Worthington wrote:
> > On Sat, 7 May 2022 17:13:13 +0100, you wrote:
> >
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I have a MythTV 31 system running on a RHEL 8 clone. It has two
> >> Hauppauge HVR5525 dual S2/T2 tuners. They both work normally but today
> >> one of the tuners cards, both T2 & S2, are timing out when tuning.
> >>
> >> Is there a way to soft reset/reboot the tuner. Make it reload its
> >> firmware etc, rather than rebooting the machine?
> >>
> >> I tried removing the cx23885 module once before in an attempt to
> >> accomplish this and unexpectedly it provoked a kernel panic.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Ken
> > I do not think there is any generic way of resetting a PCIe card. With
> > USB devices, you can reset the USB port, but PCIe does not seem to
> > have any similar facility.  So you will need to reboot to get the card
> > going again.  In fact, with problems like that, I would recommend
> > powering down completely and allowing the capacitance in the system to
> > drain before rebooting, so that you are sure the card will be cold
> > started rather than warm started.  And if you have the time, while the
> > PC is off, take off the covers and try re-seating that card.  If it
> > does not fit in its socket very well, the weight of the aerial cables
> > can lever the card around in the socket, potentially causing all sorts
> > of problems.  Make sure you have its bracket screwed down properly.

It is actually possible.  Get the pciid of the device with lspci and then
remove that device from the bus - eg:

for device 00:1f.5, you would:

echo 1 > /sys/devices/pci0000\:00/0000\:00\:1f.5/remove

followed by:

echo 1 > /sys/*bus*/*pci*/*rescan*